Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Mixed Bag...


So I am sitting in the airport in Panama City, waiting for the flight that will take us to DC. Liberte is now in the capable hands of Tom and Kathi. We are headed "home." I put that in quotations, because who knows what that really means. We are headed back to where we grew up, and many of our family members live, so that feels like home, but we haven't lived there for years. We are leaving our "home," Liberte, here in Panama. We're not returning to California, which felt very much like home for the last 5 years. So, it's a little mixed up.
I think it's still a little early to be able to process a lot of the emotions that go along with this. I am excited about the future, I am sad to leave this amazing adventure behind. I am grateful for all the support we've had, both from people we just met and those who have known us our whole lives. I am worried, I am relieved. I am really concerned about the weather where we're headed.
We have had a lot of adventure packed into the last seven or so months. We have weathered storms and seen incredible sunsets. We have laughed and shaken in anger. We have made fools of ourselves, and felt like we've conquered the world. I beat Chris at chess at least once. So that's an accomplishment.
One thing that Chris and I would often say when headed into a new port was, "We've never been this far before." It feels more true than ever now.

1 comment:

  1. Thats too bad Chris! Just talked to O'Brein at the station and he told me about this blog. I'm glad you got to do what you wanted to do and if i only knew sooner i would of bought her, flew to panama and had you sail me around a bit to get a hang of her and take her back to SF. Regardless i hope all is well!

    -Richard King

    ReplyDelete