Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not A Vacation


Last week...

Not too long ago, Chris and I had a conversation in which we disagreed about whether or not this was a vacation. Or rather, Chris said something about our “year-long vacation” and I looked at him like he had three heads.
This is an experience. Much of the time it is very rewarding, and I’ve had more moments of awe and wonder than I can count. Some of the time it gets a little tedious. A few times I’ve been downright terrified. Under no circumstances should one be terrified on vacation.
This has been one of the least vacation-y weeks we’ve had…lots of work to be done, sweat to be poured in a less than spectacular setting. We are getting some engine work done, replacing batteries, and have squeezed in some cleaning projects in there as well. Fortunately for us, it follows one of the most vacation-y weeks, with long walks and sunset beach parties and games and conversation with loved ones. Yay.
But somehow, in the midst of all the work, I have felt really happy. Riding bikes through town, getting things accomplished or getting thwarted, I feel like it’s ok, it’ll all come together. I look at my husband and think how lucky we are to be here, how lucky we are to have each other. And it doesn’t take a vacation to realize that.


No comments:

Post a Comment